Banthrico Banks

A Banthrico building coin bank made for the Fall River Trust Company of Somerset, Massachusetts

p4A ItemID D9740938
A Marconi Savings & Loan Association white metal building form coin bank made by Banthrico

p4A ItemID D9726162
A Banthrico 1954 Kaiser Autobank car coin bank in green with box

p4A ItemID E8995000
A Banthrico Steam Engine coin or penny still bank

p4A ItemID E8990918

Banthrico Coin Banks

The Banthrico name and origin can be traced to Chicago in 1931 when Jerome Aronson and Joseph Eisendrath purchased the Banker’s Thrift Corporation. Banker’s Thrift had joined forces with the Stronghart Company in 1929 and had become a well-known maker of small steel building banks. The new owners shortened the name to ‘Banthrico’ and continued the already established line of promotional banks. Early success led to the purchase in 1940 of National Products and facilitated expansion into white metal model car banks.

After the break in commercial manufacturing during WWII, Banthrico continued production and enhanced variety during the late 1940s and 1950s by including busts of famous Americans, sports mascots, appliances, and automobiles. White metal building banks (white metal being a composition of approximately 95% zinc, 4% aluminum and 1% copper) dominated the company’s offerings from 1945 to 1985. Production peaked in the 1960s and 1970s and although the high quality standards were kept and efforts were made at diversification, the recession of the 1980s took its toll and Banthrico was sold 1985.


About This Site

Internet Antique Gazette is brought to you by Prices4Antiques.