Moyer, William – Stoneware Pottery

William Moyer

Examples of Moyer stoneware are scarce as he was in business for only two years, 1858 to 1860. He used at least two impressed pottery marks: WM. MOYER/HARRISBURG, PA. and MOYER HARRISBURG (in an arc). Examples have also been found with the impressed marks on the bottom of the ware.


Mead, Ira Mills – Ohio Pottery

The Mead Family Of Ohio Potters

Ira M. Mead (Sr.) was the first member of the family to come to North Springfield, Ohio from central Vermont around 1820. (North Springfield was a village located in Springfield Township of what was Portage County prior to 1840 and Summit County thereafter. Today it is part the Akron suburbs.) Biographical reports indicate that his three sons, Ira M., Abner R, and Truman P., were all trained as [...] Click here to continue reading.


Hart, Charles – New York Pottery

Charles Hart Pottery

Charles Hart was one of a family of potters operating from the 1830′s in the Ogdensburg, Sherburne and Fulton areas of New York. Charles was the son of James Hart, who moved to Sherburne in 1841 to open a pottery, having been a potter in Fulton (then called Oswego Falls) with his brother Samuel.

Charles worked with his father until 1858 when he took over as sole operator until 1866. In [...] Click here to continue reading.


Donaghho, A. Polk – Pottery

A. Polk Donaghho began his pottery business circa 1843 in Fredericktown, Pennsylvania. Between 1870 and 1874 Donaghho moved the pottery to Parkersburg, West Virginia where it operated until circa 1900. While in Parkersburg Donaghho marked some of his pottery with the Donaghho mark and some “Excelsior Pottery”.


Cowden, J.W. (John Wallace Cowden) – American Pottery

John Wallace Cowden Pottery

John W. Cowden began his pottery business in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1861, assisted by his son Frederick until the younger Cowden enlisted in the Union Army for the Civil War. They were known for their utilitarian stoneware with brushed cobalt blue floral decoration. In 1870 Isaac J. Wilcox joined the business and the firm became Cowden & Wilcox. John W. died in 1872 and was followed by his sons in [...] Click here to continue reading.


Cowden, F.H. (Frederick H. Cowden) – American Pottery

Frederick H. Cowden Pottery

Frederick H. Cowden was the son of John Wallace Cowden, founder of the Cowden Potteries in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1861. Frederick worked briefly with his father at the pottery before enlisting in the Union Army for the Civil War.

He returned to the pottery after the war and worked with his father and Isaac J. Wilcox in the firm of Cowden & Wilcox. John W. died in 1872 and Frederick [...] Click here to continue reading.


Lyons Co-operative Pottery

Lyons Co-operative Pottery Limited

The Lyons, New York pottery began early in the 19th century and, circa 1850, was under the ownership of Nathan Clark, Jr., who was succeeded in 1867 by Thompson Harrington. In 1872 Jacob Fisher took over the pottery and operated it until 1902, the last individual proprietorship at the pottery.

From 1902 to 1904 the pottery was operated as the Lyons Co-operative Pottery Company.

From the 1850′s a variety of [...] Click here to continue reading.


Meaders Family of Folk Potters

The Meaders Family of Folk Potters

The Meaders Pottery was started in 1892 by John M. Meaders in Mossy Creek, White County Georgia. Meaders built a log stucture and hired a potter to start the works and teach the trade to his six sons. All but one of the sons became potters, and one, Cheever, took over the original pottery in 1920. His wife Arie was a potter in her own right and specialized [...] Click here to continue reading.


White & Wood Pottery

White & Wood Pottery

The White & Wood Pottery was opened in Binghamton, New York by Charles N. White and George L. Wood in 1883. They made stoneware there until 1887, using the mark “White & Wood/Binghamton, N.Y.” (the first line in an arc).

Charles White was the son of Nicholas A. White of White’s Potttery in Utica, New York. In 1882 Charles White was made a partner of that pottery and its mark [...] Click here to continue reading.


Tyler, M. & Co & Dillon Pottery

Moses Tyler & Charles Dillon Pottery

Moses Tyler moved from Massachusetts to Albany, New York in 1822 and set up a pottery on Washington Avenue. Some time between 1826 and 1834 he formed a partnership with John Dillon and moved the pottery down the street to what had been the Cushman Pottery. Tyler left the pottery in 1834 to work alone until he retired in 1840.

After Tyler’s departure Charles Dillon took Jacob Henry [...] Click here to continue reading.


About This Site

Internet Antique Gazette is brought to you by Prices4Antiques.