Dieppe, France – Ivory Carving

A French Dieppe carved ivory triptych, 19th century, displaying Beatrice, Torquato Tasso, and Dante

p4A ItemID D9663944
A pair of carved ivory vases attributed to Charles Etienne Thomas (French, 1798 to 1857), Dieppe

p4A ItemID D9663741
A pair of French carved ivory figural plaques, 19th century, probably Dieppe, inscribed "Johanna d'Arc" and "Charles VII", in low relief, wood stands

p4A ItemID E8888701
A Dieppe (France) ivory carving of a Musketeer with stein in hand, 19th century

p4A ItemID E8884673

Dieppe, France – Ivory Carving

During the 1600′s, Dieppe, France was a flourishing seaport and a major commerce center, one of the first in France. The Merchant Prince, D’Ango or the Medici of Dieppe (as he became to be known), brought great supplies of elephant tusks from India to the port of Dieppe. The abundance of this material helped to establish Dieppe as a center known for its fine ivory carvings. Even though Dieppe lost its status as a thriving port after the bombardment during the war of 1694 with England, the unequaled delicacy of the toys and figures that were produced is still recognized today.

Reference note summarized from information in Margaret Roberts book, The Atelier du lys, P4a.com editor, June, 2010.


About This Site

Internet Antique Gazette is brought to you by Prices4Antiques.