Logan Pottery

Eight-gallon cobalt-decorated stoneware [salt-glazed pottery] water cooler with molded eagle decoration, embossed "NE PLUS ULTRA," Ohio origin

p4A ItemID E8862799
Rare and Fine Anna Pottery Stoneware Pig Flask, Wallace and Cornwall Kirkpatrick, Anna, Illinois, circa 1880

p4A ItemID F7999192
Very Rare Southern Stoneware Face Jug with Porcelain Teeth, Incised "Bottom Side Up / Choctaw Indian Pottery / Marion, VA", circa 1930, ovoid jug with tall spout

p4A ItemID F7966589
Rare Stoneware Face Jug, possibly the Logan pottery in Ohio, early 1900's, brown glaze to lower portion of the jug, unglazed upper portion, applied facial features

p4A ItemID F7962982

Logan Pottery

The Logan Pottery was organized in Logan, Hocking County (in the south central region of Ohio) by the brothers Frank and Charles Adcock on 29 May 1902. The pottery began operation in January, 1903. Frank, a schoolteacher, eventually left the pottery and Charles continued to manage it until his death in 1934. The pottery continued in operation under the management of his sons Ross and Lawrence until it closed in 1964.

Over the years the pottery manufactured items such as a seated dog, foot warmers, bowls, pitchers, flower pots and vases, poultry fountains, jugs, cuspidors, jardinières and garden urns. Their blue and white foot warmer was one of the few examples patented by the company. It was made between 1915 and 1928 and has become a favorite of collectors. Other collectible products of the Logan Pottery included a bulb bowl and a fruit bowl and candleholder set made from 1920 to 1926.

The Logan seated bulldogs have endeared themselves to many collectors of dogs and/or Ohio pottery. Produced in one size, they have been found in many different glazes including bright white, mirror black, cream, and blue. Two-tone examples are known, including a reddish-brown and white example in the p4A Reference Database (item number D9889065) and another example with its collar and nose glazed in brown. The dogs are usually unsigned, but one example is known with “Bill White” inscribed on its bottom.

The closure of the pottery resulted from the high cost of modernizing their facility, rising labor costs, and pressure from Japanese imports and the increasing use of plastic in competing products.

Reference note by p4A editorial staff; 2014.


About This Site

Internet Antique Gazette is brought to you by Prices4Antiques.